Friday, March 2, 2012

maple flan recipe and I really love ukiyo-e

If you like custard, you've GOT to try this! You won't believe me until you try it yourself: this flan is really easy and ABSOLUTELY melt-in-your-mouth silky. My first flan and sooooo wonderful!... I'm looking for a holiday that could use a presentation-worthy, rich and fancy dessert like this as a permanent staple and family tradition, it was THAT good!


The original recipe for Rachel's maple flan is here:

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/dessert-recipes/silky-maple-flan

and I finished my paper on Japanese Ukiyo-e... I LOVED it! The images are so compelling... of course, you have to be careful because there is a lot that is inappropriate... but I love Kaigetsudo's courtesans, Harunobu's innocent girls, Hokusai's Great Wave, and of course Hiroshige's landscapes of solitude. Aaaaaah... homework might not always be fun (case in point last Friday when I was totally spazzing), but at least I quite genuinely enjoy the subject matter. That always helps. Here are some of my favorites from this paper:

And now that I'm done, I can just drool over the exquisite images and dream for a trip to the Far East...

2 comments:

  1. That's the same recipe I used when making Flan. Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Japanese art is so beautiful- I've always loved that Great Wave!

    ReplyDelete