Friday, April 24, 2009

Serving

I think I tend to get pretty wrapped up in myself sometimes. Self-absorbed, self-pity, a lil too concerned about truly silly things like the appearance of wrinkles in our new slipcovers, or the clutter of books at the top of the stairs that still don't have a bookshelf. Yes, I allow myself to get pretty stressed about things that don't even matter. That is one reason why I am so blessed to have opportunities to serve others.

Just before Easter I went with some friends to serve lunch at the YWCA Family Center, an emergency shelter for families. It was a while ago, but I wanted to write about the experience anyway. While putting delicious food on a plate, I realized I was happy and content... and full of joy and light. Maybe it was seeing the eagerness in leaden eyes because this food is more than nutrition (which it wasn't really--so much butter!). This meal is something like hope and generosity that you can pick up with your fork. Serving lunch was serving out love and goodness to those who see so much of despair and the worst of human nature. Okay, I should serve just to help them. I should. But isn't it wonderful to feel that warmth in your chest when you are able to bring a smile to someone's face? To hear the sincere thanks for a good lunch from a father trying to get back on his feet and provide for his family? To compliment a mom on her beautiful eyes or her well-behaved kids and see her stand up a lil taller as the compliment lifts some of the weight of her housing crisis from her shoulders? To make a downcast child feel special just by the way you conspiratorially offer him his rice crispy treat?

I love serving. I feel happiest when I am giving to others. And I'm grateful for the reminder that my petty problems are not significant. I am grateful for the love that showers down on us all from our Lord, Jesus Christ. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to serve some of my brothers and sisters at the YWCA Family Center. A small lunch. But a great experience in my heart.

2 comments:

  1. Service can do that to you, can't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who is that girl on the right? Is her name Brianna? She looks like a girl that I went to college with.

    Thanks for all of your comments on our blog! I showed Jared your blog and he had great things to say about you. Where are you guys living now? Do you ever come back to Arkansas to visit?

    ReplyDelete