Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Taking on too much... But isn't it worth it sometimes?



Apparently, this is one of my talents. Taking on too much, not realizing my own limitations, going above and beyond expectation... I've done it for as long as I can remember. Ask my mom or my friends from Elementary school... I did it then too. Is this really a talent/gift or a weakness? I'm not really sure. Maybe both, depending on what I do with it. I guess if I get overwhelmed and stressed out about something, that is definitely a sign that I've gone too far... but if I just make some activity or project turn out REALLY great, then that's a good thing, right?

Well, I took on a normal project yesterday and blew it up into a huge production. The Pumpkin Pallooza I was hosting for Gardening/Food Storage Club at church was a smashing success with a great turnout (15 people! Wow! That was so exciting to see all the new faces! And I know so many more would have liked to come!), delicious food (I'm admittedly proud of how the pumpkin pie turned out since I've never made one, let alone from real pumpkin rather than canned--and that cake was all that I could have hoped it would be!), fellow-shipping time for new ward members and some visitors with whom I used to work, and I learned a TON in the process! That would make the 'over achieving' worth it, right?


But did I overdo it? I am feeling exhausted from sitting at the computer too long typing up info and recipes (seriously, like a 10 page document!), have a pervasive back ache that began after being on my feet ALL day yesterday cooking, and it took almost all night with windows open to the brisk October air before I finally cooled off and stopped sweating from being by a hot stove/oven baking all day...but I wasn't stressed, or anything. Just physically tired. (Which I guess is a big deal when you're 36 weeks pregnant. I forget that I can't do as much with my body as I could normally...). I had so many offers of help-- I probably should have taken people up on it-- but could we all really have fit between my table and the oven and baked all day without just having 'too many cooks in the kitchen'? I don't know... I did take Julie up on her offer to come over for about 2 hours and help with the stew. I was pretty tired by then and she was great! So, realistically, should I have asked more people to come help out?

Did I take on too much, yes. But wasn't it really worth it?

10 comments:

  1. Even though I came late - it was definitely worth it! Holy moly you are an amazing woman, and you somehow managed to deal with my crying baby for three hours during your crazy day of preparation! Words cannot express my appreciate and admiration for you!

    As far as the strength vs. weakness debate ... my thoughts are it's perfectly fine to have grand hopes and expectations of great success - I think Heavenly Father honestly wants us to try our best to make everything in life as good as it can be. But the next time you try to do this again, with a baby in your arms, may I suggest asking others to help out? 36 weeks pregnant is rough, and you pulled it off very well. But with kids? Yikes!! Delegation is the greatest tool in the world!! Asking others for help is not a bad thing - especially if they do their own cooking/baking in their kitchens! :) Thanks for sharing a plethora of information with us! It was grand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that does look like quite a production! I was actually totally thinking (before you wrote it) why didn't she have any help???? Seriously that looks like so much work and that is amazing you threw that party with that huge amount of food all by yourself. Everything looks wonderful! Seems like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an animal! I can't believe you made that pie from real pumpkin. It all looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elisa, I think it's fantastic to take on a lot if you can pull it off as great as you did! But I do have to say that it gets a million times tougher to finish things when you have a new baby! I found that people honestly want to help out and love holding babies, so TAKE THEM UP ON IT or ask people to help and you will feel much better than you could have imagined. I was going to say you might be "nesting" with all the stuff you want to do, but if you've always been that way then maybe not! I wish I could have come to your party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So hon, it's all WORTH it....
    The thing that took me forever to learn...and I'm not really sure I've totally learned it yet, is that whole good, better, best process. (Who gave that talk in general conference?) You have to learn your own limitations and then prioritize from what really matters on down. And believe me, you're talking to the queen of "can't say no". I'm doing better, but remember that we can't run further than we are able. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did such a great job! The food was delicious, the information was a perfect mix of fun facts and good things to know, and the company was great. I think you may have convinced some people they need to start coming to garden club more regularly. Of course you didn't need to do as much as you did, but don't you feel so great when you can. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at you! I think we ALL have a tendancy to bite off more than we can chew. Especially after having kids because your pace of life changes after kids. It HAS to. So just plan a few months instead of a few weeks to do things and don't feel bad if you don't get to some project for a couple of years. All the important stuff will get done. And instead of being Super Woman, you'll soon be Super Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was my first week at the canning/gardening club, so you have set the bar high. I couldnt believe all that I learned in one night and went home so full that I couldn't even eat breakfast the next day. You definitely did more than you needed to, but I enjoyed every bit of it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That is pretty impressive. I am also an over-achiever. My mother is a crazy, insane woman who always has a TON on her plate. Sometimes it does get to her, but I've never known her to be any different and she just can't seem to drop anything. Even if she does drop something, she soon fills the "extra" time with something else. I don't know that it's always a bad thing. I try to not overextend myself too much. I think it turned out great and was worth the effort. Who knows, perhaps it will send you into labor?!?

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH, it was DEFINITELY worth it - my taste buds can attest! Thanks again Elisa!!!

    ReplyDelete